University of Sheffield
Jan 14 - Jan 25 2019Timetable
This module aims to give students a background understanding and practical experience of experimental methods and techniques used in materials research. The core of the module will be a lecture course that informs about the wide variety of thin-film deposition and characterisation techniques including UV-Vis spectroscopy, infra-red absorption spectroscopy, Raman scattering and electron microscopy.
You will also take part in a diverse programme of practical activities which will include: the deposition of thin films via spin coating, absorption and fluorescence measurements of organic semiconductors and training to use atomic force microscopy.
Assessment for the module will include a literature review of techniques covered in the lecture course and a written report of practical work undertaken.
- Experiment A (Spectroscopy)
- Experiment B (OPV Devices)
- Experiment C (Perovskite AFM/SEM)
- Experiment D (Vaccum & Thermal Imaging)
- Experiment E (Optical Properties of Multilayers)
- Experiment E - A useful paper
- Lab Reports - Instructions
- Optical Spectroscopy
- Organic PV Devices - Alan Dunbar
- Vaccum Science and Technology - Alastair Buckley
- Vibrational Spectroscopy
CDTPy | Python for Scientists
- CDTPy Module Page
- CDTPy Workshop Overview
- Installing Python - Anaconda Quick Start
- Python CodeAcademy